The NCCM was established in 1920 as part of the Lay Organizations Department of the National Catholic Welfare Council (NCWC). Its various functions included the federation of Catholic men's groups, to be a central clearinghouse for information on lay activities, to promote lay cooperation, to help existing Catholic lay organizations on the local level, to contribute to national and international movements with moral questions, and to inculcate appreciation of Catholic principles in society. It operated through a committee system on national, diocesan, and parish levels and published a monthly news organ and other publications as well. It operated a film distribution office and a New York radio and television office, from which it produced The Catholic Hour, 1930-1968. It was briefly merged with NCCW to form the National Council of Catholic Laity, before going defunct in 1975. Records include constitutions, bylaws, and incorporation; minutes of the Board of Directors; reports and convention proceedings; general correspondence including national organizations and diocesan; Catholic Hour radio and television scripts, transcripts, audio tapes, photographs, and phonographs; and miscellaneous publications.